Hi everyone! Obviously Nolan and I have gotten behind on our blog a little. We keep thinking about the need to update it and we always talk about these great ideas for a post - but we seem to be lacking in the follow through department.
I figure I can do a quick catch up post and then if Nolan and I would like to we can go back and expand on certain events.
*Please be aware that we love using blogger because
1 - its free
2 - its usually simple to use and
3 - its free.
But it does have some weird formatting issues. So although this isn't our prettiest post ever at least it is full of photos!
April
Young Woman Fundraiser Night:
The Young Women in our congregation needed to raise some money for their annual girls camp. They decided to host an all-you-can-eat hamburger dinner and then offer family portraits afterwards. I remember the amazing experiences I had going to girls camp and so Nolan and I didn't hesitate to participate. Being able to go into God's creation for a week and focus on understanding your infinite worth and divine potential with understanding leaders and other girls from you congregation - there is nothing better!
Now Nolan and I don't have any kids yet - but that doesn't mean we haven't been adopted by a few of the locals :)
Our search for Mexican:
Although Omaha is a multicultural boiling pot we still can't seem to find the quality of Mexican food that you can find throughout Utah. And believe us we have been searching! We heard that this restaurant "La Mesa" had earned several awards so we gave it a try. Cool place, not bad food, but definitely not the winner in our book. Oh well, at least it became a fun date night!

The Community Garage Sale:
Apparently once a year our town house community holds a massive yard sale. We were surprised at how many people participated and the great prices. I have already started setting aside items so that we can participate from the other side next year. But the best part of all was this little boy's lemonade stand. Our good friends Zach and Megan came along - they even bought us a drink! ;) Lemonade
May
Hana's Birthday
My birthday was at the end of the month. Thankfully it was on a Saturday so Nolan didn't have work at UP, it was after finals so we didn't have to factor in law school, and I didn't have any work. The only thing we had to work around - I finally have started working on my Master's which meant I had plenty of school work to do.
So Nolan, being the sweetest husband in the world, created a scavenger hunt of adventures for us. The best part is as I was opening up the second "clue" I told him how awesome this all was but I wasn't sure if I would have time. Then I read: "During the year, you were always so good, and always made time for me to finish my homework. Well, now is my time to do the same for you. You have four hours to get ready for the day (prepare for adventure) and then to do your homework. During these four hours, I will do the dishes and serve you with refreshments. Also, I will do random jobs around the house that you ask me to do. Just name something I shall do it!
Now go get to it!"
I can't even tell you how much I laughed at how well he had anticipated my reaction and concerns. Well I worked hard during those four hours and yet couldn't finish all of my work. Nolan then gave me the 3rd clue (typed up the day before) which began "GO HANA! I'm so proud that you got your homework done/close to done!"
I don't know how he does it!!
Honestly this whole day deserves its own blog post so for now I will only post these 2 pictures to wet your appetite!
Old cousins and new cousins
In May we also said good bye to Nolan's cousins Jordan& Crystal with their Lil D. Lil E. and Tiny E. We very much miss them - especially the little ones. It was fun to be able to babysit and play with them. We especially loved borrowing them when we wanted to go to museums or do activities that are really geared towards 5 year olds... you know those awkward places or events where 2 adults walking around without kids is pretty much grounds to call the police.
But as they say "When God closes a door - He opens a window!" On the same day that Jordan & Crystal moved out Wade & Kallie moved in!! Now we still have cousins living right down the street and in a few months their little guy will be old enough for us to borrow! We still haven't been able to make it to the children's museum - he just might be our ticket in :)
Thank goodness I married Nolan. In traditional Mormon fashion he is loaded with cousins! Seriously, they just keep coming. It is still a strange concept for me since I have 3 cousins total. Yep - total as in counting both my father and mother's sides! But I have to say cousins are AWESOME!
June
Business in Utah
I started out the month by driving from Omaha to Utah. I had a week long training for work in Salt Lake City and I took advantage of my time out there to see my family and hike to Timpanogos Cave. I love when you get paid to travel to awesome places! and... Yes: this photo is the result of my younger brother calling my bluffCollege World Series
As a new intern of Union Pacific Nolan was paid to attend on of the College World Series games - held annually here in Omaha! You can't look at these and tell me anything negative about UP. Nolan and I are constantly amazed at the perks of being a UP employee!
The Amana Colonies - Iowa
Time this spring I got it into my head that I wanted to visit the Amana colonies in Eastern Iowa. They are 7 small villages that were settled by German immigrants in the late 1800's. They are NOT the Amish but are famous for keeping their European charm and escaping from the fast paced life of today. Somehow I sold Nolan on the idea and we headed out the last weekend of June for a short day trip. It takes almost 4 hours so next time we'll try and make it a weekend trip. This is another event that truly deserves an entire post... if you are interested let us know and then we'll have more motivation to write up about our experiences there!
* The last photo is of something called a "Kohlrabi" which if you say over and over sounds like "Cool Robbie" (in honor of my youngest brother Robert)
Last but not least - July
The most significant event in July was the marriage of Nolan's sister Heather to her high school sweet heart Kevin. Nolan and I were able to drive out to Utah a week a head of time and lend a few hands in the prewedding craziness that I am finding seems to happen before EVERY wedding! But we don't currently have any photos of that... here are some other things that happened in July
The 4th of July
Our hometeacher Brian and his wife Amber went with us to a HUGE firework show in Omaha... I don't think they knew what they were getting themselves into...


Building a Bed
Nolan is building us a bed so that we can have more than just a mattress on the floor. It still isn't completed but Nolan has promised that it will get finished during my next 3.5 week business trip to Utah!


De-Catepillaring the Garden
Our parsley suddenly was attacked by 10-12 caterpillars. I gave Nolan the task of getting rid of them humanly.

Church Historical Sites of Missouri
The weekend before heading to Utah Nolan and I decided to go visit some places of historical significance in Missouri for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. Basically we went to Adam-ondi-Ahman, Far West, Liberty Jail, and then we camped right outside of Independence, Missouri. The next day we drove to Topeka, Kansas to visit one of Nolan's best friends from high school who is also attending law school.
















No comments:
Post a Comment