Two weeks ago I finished my last day of orientation for law school and wondered just what I was getting myself into. Everyone tells me that the first year of law school exists, not only to learn the basics of the law, but also to scare the heck out of everyone so that those not truly dedicated will pursue other options. Two weeks ago, with homework already assigned and books still left to buy, I felt like they were already doing a pretty good job of that. Could I actually do this?
Flash forward to now. After Properties, my last class of the day, Hana reminded me that I needed to write about my first two weeks, and I began to reflect on how these past two weeks have passed.
First, the reading isn’t necessarily as bad as I imagined. My Portuguese undergraduate required me to read quite a bit more than I currently am, and in another language to boot. This reading, however, requires a closer reading than I am used to. No longer can I skim the chapter, get the basic gist of the story/reading and write a report on it. In law, everything has significance. The placement of a comma, the definitions of words, prepositions; everything works together to define the various rules of law and how they apply to the facts.
Second, there isn’t always a right answer. The hard thing about the law is that each jurisdiction applies the law differently. A judge on one district may rule for the plaintiff, while a judge in another would rule for the defense. Thus, in law school, you can’t memorize hard and fast rules. I’m learning that a lawyer has to think on his toes, applying logic while at the same time thinking of creative way to present the case in the best light for the client.
Two weeks down and I already have learned a lot. I think I may just graduate after all.
No comments:
Post a Comment